Chiang Mai Thailand

Chiang Mai Thailand



Map to International Legal Counselor Chiang Mai Thailand


Real Estate In Thailand - The expat perspective. What you can buy - and how.....

Thailand has recently witness a surge of interest in property buyers from around the world. One of the first questions on everyone's lip when they enter the Kingdom is "How can I owned the property I want to buy?"

There are a number of answers to this question, which revolve around the Thai law that foreigners may own up to 49 percent of condominium property. Hence if a property develops has build an apartment block of 100 units, he can sell 49 percent of the condominium space (units) to foreigners. In this case each expat who want to buy one of the 49 units will wholly own the flat in his or her own name.

Buying a house standing on a piece of (Thai) land is a different story. In the past, many people opted for the easy route of buying the house in the name of a Thai friend. Effectively, you are giving them the money to buy a house and hope they do not lock you our after the first argument. History tells us that this method does not always have a happy ending.

Land for building comes with a title deed, or "chanod" in Thailand. It is possible to have your Thai partner's name on this document as owner, with your name also register as mortgagor, as you lent the money in the form of the mortgage. This means that house cannot be sold without your consent.

You can also use a Thai Nominee to purchase a property and have a 30-years lease with 30-years renewal options form the nominee.

Another method is Usufruct Interest (sidhi-kep-kin) that gives you temporary ownership rights to thing on the Thai Land. In practice, a Usufruct is limited to a 30-years maximum period; like leases, the agreement can be successful renewed. In contrast to a lease, a Usufruct interest can be sold or transferred, although its expires upon the death of the holder of the Usufruct and therefore cannot be inherited.

Finally, there is the limited Liability Company, which is most popular as the Articles of the Association can be varied to allow greater protection for foreigner minority shareholders. The recommended foreigner ownership share in this case is 39 percent, but with changes to the Articles Of Association, the foreigner can be the only active director of the company.

All these choice can be discussed with an experienced Real Estate Agent and satisfactory outcome is normal these days.

by....Ajarn Kietisak Phantawong
International Legal Counselor Office (LLP)

For further information about ICO Expert Services, Kindly contact or visit their office at :

ICO Expert Services.
ICO Building, 299 M. 2 T.Sanpanath, A.Sansai, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Tel: 053-351414, Mobile: 01-9511100 Fax: 053-351413

The Best Real Estate and Home in Thailand,
Home in Park
250/13 Moo 3, Leabklongchonlaprathan Rd., T.Nongkhay A.Hangdong,
Chiang Mai 50230 :: E-mail ::
6653-430670, 6653-430571



Home, Introduction, Accommodation, Festival, Transportation, Shopping, Travel Agent,
Medical, Education, TAT, Latest Update, Calender Of Event, Links, Testimonial,
Weather, Disclaimer,
Handicraft Dealer, Golden Web Award, Other Resources, Site Map

TAT Northern Office Region 1- ChiangmaiTAT LogoFor further information all about Chiang Mai Thailand,
kindly contact:
Northern Office: Region One
105/1 Chiangmai - Lamphun Road, Amphur Muang,
Chiang Mai 50000
Tel: (66 53) 248 604, 248 607 and 241 466. Fax: (66 53) 248 605
Email:  Website: :
Office Hours: 08:30 am to 04:30 pm (Monday - Friday)

Copyright information goes here
2003-2005 ©  All Rights Reserved
2003-2005 © chiangmai-thai.comô All Rights Reserved

chiangmai-thai dot com
Web Consultant & Search Engines Listing Specialist
99-47 Acadia 1 Soi 3, Koolpuntville 9, Hang Dong, 50230 Chiang Mai Thailand.
Tel: ++ (053)-336 065